How Old Are We?
Mike and I have been complaining lately that we feel like are bodies are falling apart. Mike's shoulder is still not recovered fully - he can use it for most things but it tires quickly and is sore a lot of the time. He just went for another appointment at Markham Stouffville Hospital to see a new orthopedic surgeon there (who just came about a month ago from Digby, Nova Scotia - the surgeon is not loving the quick pace of Toronto and sounded homesick of his house by the river). Anyway, it looks like Mike may need surgery afterall. Which means another long recovery and more physiotherapy. No date scheduled for that yet. He has to go for an MRI first.
Mike's also got this crazy phlegmmy (spelling?) cough that won't go away. The doctor gave him a nasal spray to try, but that doesn't seem to be resolving the issue. So now he's on antibiotics. Hopefully that will do the trick.
I've had a headache for five days now (on and off). It's not outrageously bad, especially since I'm keeping myself doped up on Advil. I've also been in to see the doctor, and was given the same nasal spray as Mike. Hmmmm... the doctor must be getting a great kickback from that drug rep.
Neither Mike and I have slept well in three nights. We both just toss and turn and end up keeping each other awake. We have no energy, and head to bed around 9pm. I think all we need is a good kick in the pants. A little exercise would probably do us wonders. But as the vicious cycle goes, who wants to exercise when they're tired? I'd rather eat leftover cake from Father's Day. Thanks all you exercise nuts for making me take that home.
And poor little Bennett has a fever and a rash on his back. I took him in to see his doctor today and was reassured that it's just a reaction to his measles/mumps/rubella shot that he got last week, and the fever should break by tomorrow. Apparently 2% of kids get a reaction to the shot. Lucky B.
So that's us. What a fun bunch we are. Vitamin C and exercise. Vitamin C and exercise. Vitamin C and exercise. I'm going to keep repeating this until it becomes a part of my daily routine.

5 Comments:
OK, here's my 3 cents' worth on health. You can ignore whatever bits you want.
1. Yoga - It's a way to get exercise that is actually enjoyable while you do it (if you have a decent instructor), and not just something that's worth doing for the after-effects. And it makes you much more aware of what's going on in your body, including things that you thought were going on in your mind, which means you can deal with them more effectively. Kripalu yoga is especially slow, mindful, and relaxing, while still being a good workout.
2. Don't medicate; meditate! - Another effective way to get your mind and body in sync with each other, this one concentrating more on the mind end. I think most illness is caused by people not being able to hear what their body is asking for, as the message gets garbled along the way. Maybe you don't agree. But in any case, regular meditation will improve your concentration, make you more relaxed and happier, and lower stress levels, which can't be bad for you.
3. Eating - Alison's dad invented this "diet" which ingeniously gets you to eat a variety of the things that everyone knows you're supposed to eat and fewer of the ones you're not. You just write down at the end of the day everything you ate that day, being completely honest and leaving nothing out. Surprisingly effective!
Anyway, that's the unsolicited advice of someone who never gets sick anymore. Whatever, man.
- Andrew
6:29 AM
I'm actually going tomorrow to sign up for a yoga class. It's just once a week, but I'm really looking forward to it.
I think I'd like to meditate, I just don't really know what to do. Hmmmm... something to look into.
The last one - no way! I'm not ready to give up the junk yet.
7:36 PM
Ha ha! You don't have to; that's the beauty of the "diet". Just write it down.
I recommend transcendental meditation. It's pretty simple and not affiliated with any particular religion or belief system. You're supposed to have to pay someone to show you how to do it, but you can find books that tell you pretty much what to do.
- Andrew
4:13 AM
Hey, Er...we were supposed to join yoga or exercise class together...are we still?
Dana
6:44 AM
I know I don't have to give up the junk, but if I write it on a piece of paper I'll feel guilty, and then I'll stop eating it. Kind of the point I know, but I'm not ready to be that real about what I eat.
10:08 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home